Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Darfur- The Genocide

What has unfolded in Darfur over the last five years is simply atrocious. Hundreds of thousands of people have been brutally slaughtered and nobody has made a large-scale effort to stop it. The worst part about the entire situation in my opinion is the fact that the Sudanese government has done absolutely nothing to stop the killings that are occurring in their own country!! In fact, the Sudanese government are actually urging the killers to slaughter as many civilians as they possibly can. It disgusts me. The world said "never again" would a genocide occur on our watch, but it is right now and nothing has been done.
Our last two weeks in class have been focused on finishing our Africa unit and it has been probably my favorite part of the year. I enjoyed doing our Africa mask project and really had my eyes opened to some of the problems in the world during this unit. I think it will be an interesting transition to our Middle East unit and I'm looking forward to ending the school year on a good note!

4 comments:

  1. Lots of good points here (I agree with all of them by the way) and i'm gonna second the motion the end the school year on something slightly happier, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree Brett.

    The major organizations such as the African Union, European Union, International Criminal Court, North Atlantic Trade Organization, and even the United Nations themselves have not done nearly enough to remedy the situation facing the people of Darfur. Despite the Frontline episode we watched displaying evidence that something is being done by the various governments of the world, they may have used too much optimism. There certainly is not nearly enough being done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett, I definitely agree with you on this one it is so sad how people can sit around and watch people die like the sudan government. It is scary to think about how many countries like ours just recently started to enter the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i completely agree wiht you brett. the sudanese gov. are most to blame for the genocide. the government there is corrupt and something needs to be changed or the killings will only continue

    ReplyDelete